Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Spring Clean: Preparing

Now that we can have the windows open it's the perfect time for a thorough spring clean - I don't like cleaning with the windows shut so as soon as it warms up enough to let the fresh air in I know it's time to get ready to  clean my home.

There are two ways of doing a Spring Clean - the first is to take one or two days and do the entire house at once and the other way is to break it into sections and spread it out over a week or two. Our house is very small, only five rooms and two hallways, so I generally take two days of my life once a year and really, really clean the home well and have it done until the fall touchup. If I lived in a larger home I would probably break it down and do a section or a room a day for a week. It's totally up to you but the principals of Spring Cleaning are the same.

I'm going to do my spring cleaning next week during the first day or two of spring break, so you are welcome to spring-clean-along with me or simply reference this when you decide to clean the individual rooms later in the year. Before we start, though, here are some things that I try to do to prepare for the big scrub.

1. Declutter - I wrote a post on this in Feburary. We've been very busy de-cluttering our home this month and have removed a carload of things from the house. It's really hard to clean around clutter so I try to get rid of it before I clean. No matter what, though, I always end up finding even more stuff to toss  when I'm spring cleaning.

2. Have a spring cleaning schedule written out - My spring cleaning schedule is done by taking each room and dividing it into sections going from the top to the bottom. This isn't making a detailed list for each room, this is more like figuring out what is going to get cleaned and when. For example the first day I will do the Dining Room, Front Hall + Closet, Kitchen and Living Room.The second day I do the Back Hall + Built-Ins, Bathroom, Bedroom + Closet. I expect these to be two eight hour days with breaks as needed and lunch and this is the routine I always have for this apartment. . If I didn't have the time and I was going to break it down it might be something like Monday: Both Bathrooms, Tuesday: Living Room, Wednesday: Kitchen and Dining Room and so on until I had my path mapped out.

3. Make sure you have all of your supplies - Supplies are so important to have on hand. Nothing stops you dead in your tracks like realizing you have no soap or a sponge, or all your cleaning towels are waiting to be washed and you have to do a load of laundry before you can even start cleaning. Each room calls for different sets of supplies though there is a lot of overlap. I grouped this by room simply because it helps me make up a "Bucket" when I'm going to each room and then I don't have to run back and forth trying to find things in the basement, the kitchen, or the bathroom and I have everything in the room I am cleaning. I like to make most of my own supplies or use natural products to clean though I do bleach my ancient sink once a year and use Murphy's Oil Soap on our 100 year old floors that have lost all their finish. For example, I make my own antiseptic soap using a blend of rosemary and lavender essential oils, and go heavy on the lavender for the bedroom. (You can find a recipe here.)

Kitchen:                                  Dining Room:                                   Front/Back Hall:
Antiseptic counter spray             Duster                                               Duster
Vinegar for the chrome              Vinegar for windows/chrome               Wood Friendly Soap
Bleach                                      Newspaper for window cleaning           Rags
Vinyl floor cleaner                    Antiseptic Spray                                  Murphy's Oil Soap
Kitchen Rags                            Rags                                                  Bucket
Duster                                      Murphy's Oil Soap                              Bleach for Cat Boxes
Broom + Dust Pan                    Broom and Dust Pan
Bucket                                     Bucket
                                               Wood-friendly soap for baseboards
                                               Detergent for Curtains  

Living Room:                         Bathroom:                                         Bedroom:
Vacuum                                  Duster                                                Duster
Bucket                                    Bucket                                               Bucket
Rags                                       Rags                                                  Rags
Murphy's Oil Soap                   Antiseptic Soap                                   Broom + Dust Pan
Duster                                     Vinegar                                             Bucket
Newspaper for windows            Tile Floor Cleaner                              Murphy's Oil Soap
Vinegar                                   Bathroom Brush                                 Detergent for Curtains
Wood friendly soap                  Sturdy scrubbing sponge                      Detergent for Bedding
Carpet deodorizer                                                                              Wood friendly soap
Furniture polish                                                                                 Furniture polish
Scratch Cover for Wood                                                                     Scratch cover for wood
Broom + Dust Pan
Detergent for Curtains


No comments:

Post a Comment